Learning from experience: an Improvement Portfolio Management Journey
GCHQ recognises that it is strategically dependent upon software and systems and continually invests in initiatives to maintain and improve its capability to deliver. As a result of a successful CMMI maturity level 2 journey, GCHQ recognised they would benefit by taking a more organisational and strategic view of improvement. However, the first attempt to impose a co-ordinated set of improvement activities onto the organisation wasn't very successful. The approach needed to be 'right-weight', particularly as there were a myriad of unaligned improvements already underway.
This presentation describes the journey to a strategically aligned portfolio of change and some of the useful lessons learned, including:
* Some of the factors that enabled this attempt to be successful
* How we would know that we had been successful
* The pragmatic change approach adopted - just good enough is ok
* The challenges of running the portfolio at the same time as developing the capability
* It's about the people as much as, if not more than, the processes!
View the full conference programme.